Monday, June 14, 2010

Tumbling!!!

 Update! I decided to update this because a few things have changed.
I am sorry if any of this information is incorrect about anyone.

I started a hair blog and had so much fun with it I decided I would start another blog about my number one love and that's tumbling. first I want to tell you a little about my tumbling history.
I started Tumbling when I was seven years old at Tiffany's Dance Academy. The first day I went in My teacher kept asking me if I had ever taken before. I hadn't and she didn't believe me. When my mom came to pick me up she asked her and she assured her that I've never taken before. My teacher told my mom I was to good for this class and I needed to come to an intermediate class.
After A year at Tiffany's my mom decided she wanted to start me with a different teacher because the teacher I was with was really a dance teacher and not a tumbling teacher and my mom didn't think I was learning as much as I could.
So after a while looking around I started tumbling at "Jill's house" I tumbled with my best friend in Jill's unfinished basement. Jill was a good teacher and I had a blast learning from her in her unfinished basement on that one mat we had until she decided she wasn't going to teach any more.
After another couple of months of looking for a knew teacher I started at Flipside Tumbling where I am now with Jill (a different Jill) as my coach. Jill was an Elite world champion. She told us about her last competition she ever went to. It was in Japan and she took gold. (a good way to end I think)
When I started at flipside we had one long mat and one long tumble trampoline that comes about up to my knees. After a while we got a spring board that was about half the size of a competition spring board.
I learned my back handspring and was invited onto Flipsides first comp team in 2006. I went to my first competition in October of 2007.
In about 2008 we moved buildings and joined "Lance" (one of my coaches) at his gym down the street. Jill and Lance shared the gym until they decided that Jill should own the gym and she bought him out. Lance still coaches for us and is a head coach next to Jill.
In 2009 we moved buildings yet again to the building we are in now.
In 2008 we got a double mini. Most of you are probably wondering what a double mini is. It is a trampoline that has two parts the first part is at an angle and the second part is flat. I will do another post on all the equipment.
Last year we got a competition trampoline. I love that thing It is so bouncy but it makes it really hard to control your body.
So the three events in power tumbling are, Floor, Double mini trampoline, and trampoline. I hope this makes sense.

This year I competed level 7 and am hoping for level 8 next year witch means I could go to nationals!!! I'm so excited!!!

Last year I competed level 6 once at regional. Then once this year for my first meet. Then moved up to level 7. And cruised through it. I have the passes for level 8 and am working on my full so I can get higher difficulty.

*This year I have been working to move up to level 8 on floor. I  got my full and now I am putting together the passes. On DM I am going to do Level 7. Last week I got my spotter pike jump brani  tuck! A level 7 pass I might use. I am working to get level 7 on tramp to but we will see. I am stuck on the porpoise tuck. Now my coach is Stephany who is AMAZING! She was an Elite tumbler and was also a gymnast. She went on an LDS mission and when she came home she walked onto the BYU gymnastics team. And she still has it!
She decided to compete last year. She slaughtered at nationals taking third in level 9. She competed against kids way younger than she is and she has two kids. She is an awesome coach and has us do really good conditioning. (some people are not so great full for the in tenseness of it  but I sure am do to the fact that I could now beat almost every boy at school in an arm wrestle and every girl for sure. Thanks Steph!) She is really good at teaching you new skills and making us have beautiful whips. She is the best Double-mini coach and the only Double-mini coach for our team.

All in all, I love tumbling and hope I didn't lose any of you when you where reading it. I tried to make it as easy to understand as possible. I think its almost like learning another language. So sorry if you can't understand I'll try to put videos on to make it easier. so bare with me.

That's my tumbling life!!!

No comments: